Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blood Type Diet

Arrow Blood Type Diet

Some of you may have or probably will come across somebody on the "blood type diet" as sold by Peter J. D'Adamo, ND, a naturopathic physician, in his book "Eat Right for Your Type". In which he says those with blood type 0 should not be veg*n.

So here are a few links to prove the guy is wrong. The links were posted on vegfamily previously.

Vegsource

Earthsave

Consumer guide

Webmd

The PCRM also don't rate his books, see here.

NB To see what blood group vegan forum members are, see the What's your blood group? thread, http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2141
    Last edited by flutterby; May 10th, 2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added link to What's your blood group? thread

I always thought this "diet" was a crock, but let's face it: some veg*ns want an excuse to go back to eating animals' bodies and secretions. This was wonderful news for those lack-of-will people.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

ConsciousCuisine

The blood type diet premise is as silly and preposterous as having a special diet for people whose eyes are different colors or shapes even...

i dont even know my blood type lol
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Well i am blood type B which should also apparently eat meat according to the website. 12 years and counting, and i haven't dropped dead yet...!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    The blood type diet premise is as silly and preposterous as having a special diet for people whose eyes are different colors or shapes even...
    My feelings exactly!

in the latest issue of the Ecologist, there are a couple of letters responding to an article they ran in a previous issue, discussing the pros and cons of eating meat.

one of the letters is from somebody claiming they were vegetarian for five years, during which time their health steadily deteriorated, despite the fact that they were eating all the recommended nutrients. this person went to their doctor who apparently believes in the blood type diet, and who said that certain people just can't survive without meat because of their blood type. this person now eats meat again with no apparent health problems, guilt or worries about the problems associated with meat consumption.

the author of this letter doesn't say what their health problems were, but IMHO as Jed Gillen says in Obligate Carnivore, even *if* it were proven that a veg*n diet causes a slight deterioration in health, it would still be a small price to pay in exchange for the animals' lives, reduction in their suffering, the environmental benefits etc.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    the author of this letter doesn't say what their health problems were.
    I used to get that on a non vegan forum. When someone posted that they were thinking of becoming veg*n, one particular person would always say that not everyone was suited to a veg*n diet. When I asked why they quoted the blood type diet. So I posted the links. The same situation happened again. So I asked if they were refering to the blood type diet once more and all I received was a "no", no further explantion. It has happened since.

I went to my local health food store last night and even though the owners are a really nice couple. they started telling me how they eat based on the blood-type diet and they are raising their 11-month old daughter to eat based on that as well. I really was not into a debate with them but it just sounded so moronic. I'm O as well, shouldn't be veg*n but it's been going on 8 years now....

Talking More strange diets

This guy makes Professor Arnold Ehret's "Mucousless Diet" seem reasonable.

Actually, strange looking as he was, the Mucousless diet did make more sense. Just didn't go quite far enough!
    I am a tangerine ;)

I follow the "Eat right for your hair color" diet. I used to eat brown food but have recently switched to gray.

Quote ridgerunner
    I follow the "Eat right for your hair color" diet. I used to eat brown food but have recently switched to gray.
    HAHAHA

O wow. Apparently the guy who wrote the blood based diet claims that the human body produces iodine (read the earthsave article on this). That in itself is a huge indicator that he is NOT a scientists, and doesn't even understand the basics of science. Iodine is an element, it can not be created by any biological process... I'm guessing he's a cog for the animal slavery industry.

BTW I learned about iodine and other elements when I was 11. Are people reading this book really that ignorant about such simple aspects of their world?..

VeganJohn

Default Only Blood Type A's should be vegetarians? Type O's can die if they don't eat meat?

I found this startling piece on a website:

http://www.hippy.com/php/article-83.html

Mad or what??

Default Re: Blood Type Diet

I heard something similar the other day. Think I'm going to die soon then...
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

What's your blood group? See here.

I'm A+. This wacko 'doctor' would 'allow' me to be vegan.
    Yay!

Diana
    akaredarcher

Quote Gorilla
    in the latest issue of the Ecologist, there are a couple of letters responding to an article they ran in a previous issue, discussing the pros and cons of eating meat.

one of the letters is from somebody claiming they were vegetarian for five years, during which time their health steadily deteriorated, despite the fact that they were eating all the recommended nutrients. this person went to their doctor who apparently believes in the blood type diet, and who said that certain people just can't survive without meat because of their blood type. this person now eats meat again with no apparent health problems, guilt or worries about the problems associated with meat consumption.
    I've seen this one many times before - my friend went vegan for 2 weeks convinced this was the diet he wanted to follow. Surprisingly, he didn't find it too hard...until a doctor told him that Atkins is much better for his medical condition! .
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Just checked Gertvegans link...seems the majority who responded are type O. Interesting seeing as I am type O and got told by my natrupath (ok, I can't spell) to start eating meat. She's a strong believer in eating for your blood type. I tried to do as she said but just got really sick. I had to quit going to her. Now I eat vegan and feel great!

I suppose there has to be a new diet 'discovery' now and then to keep things interesting. Still I have found what works for me and see no reason to mess with something that works.

Default Re: Only Blood Type A's should be vegetarians? Type O's can die if they don't eat mea

Quote VeganJohn
    I found this startling piece on a website:

http://www.hippy.com/php/article-83.html

Mad or what??

looking at that website, i see the question is from someone who apparently believes she nearly died from not eating meat. she says herself that she started feeling ill when she caught 'Epstein-Barr virus followed by the resulting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.' as far as i know these illnesses aren't caused by being vegetarian!!

Hmmm...I'm O-. I guess I should be dead.

Funny, meat makes me sick. How can that be?

Default Nutrition according to your blood type?

This weekend my mom and I made a very tasty vegan pizza from scratch, but when we were ready to eat it, my mom topped her piece with cheese I asked why won't she even try the pizza vegan before she puts cheese on it, and she said that she already knows she'll feel like something's missing, so there's no point.

Then we got into a discussion about veganism, and my mom started talking about nutrition books that say each blood type needs different nutrition. She used this to justify my sister's meat-eating, saying that because of her blood type (O), her body needed it and craved it. She even gave my sister a book about nutrition for her blood type, so I'm afraid that my sister will start eating even more meat.

Actually, lately, my sister was on an almost vegan diet and ate only very little meat and dairy. I was so happy and she kept telling me how great she feels and how healthy she is. She was even asking me about vegan nutrition and other stuff about veganism! And now, with my mom's book, she'll probably slip back to her old ways of eating lots and lots of meat.

Has anybody heard anything about nutrition based on one's blood type? I want to provide my mom with reliable scietific sources showing that meat is NOT necessary and actually causes serious health problems no matter what your blood type is.
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 1st, 2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Check out Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat to Live. Dr. Fuhrman is a medical doctor, who I believe to be the foremost expert on nutrition out there. In his book, he devotes 7 or 8 pages exclusively to the Eat Right for Your Type diet. He goes through every study that has ever discussed blood type and diet. HE has done his research, and ultimately comes to the conclusion there is not any scientific basis for the diet. The whole book is fabulous.

Best,
    Josh

Funny, my blood type is A :P

I don't believe in this, it's like there are only 4 ways of eating and it depends only on the blood type. ha. ha.

My husband was vegetarian for 20 years also, and he found out he has to eat beef, buffalo, and venison to get healthier.

awesome, i'll try buffalo, it'll save me from death, it's a iracle

The Food Revolution also has some excellent information that debunks this nonsense diet.

Good sperm

The fact the 'Dr' who came up with it is clinically obese and has been for a very long time shows just how good for you his diet is.

Hmm well I am blood group O and have never eaten meat in my whole life !!

Maybe Im just a freak of nature lol

The fact the 'Dr' who came up with it is clinically obese and has been for a very long time shows just how good for you his diet is.
    Interesting. Wasn't Atkins also clinically obese when he died? Also, didn't the founder of the 'Herbalife' empire die of a heart attack at a young age?

Good sperm

Yup Atkins was obese when he died. By 'slipping on ice'. In April. Apparently.
    Compare to Dr Neal Barnard and Dr T Colin Campbell, both slim and the latter runs 6 miles a day at the age of 60-odd.

Quote j&k
    HE has done his research, and ultimately comes to the conclusion there is not any scientific basis for the diet. The whole book is fabulous.

Best,
    Josh
    Dr. Fuhrman is right, there's NO scientific evidence out about a connection between blood type and diet. I believe it's just bogus, and just another fade diet which seem convincing to some people. Religious and diet books are always the big sellers.

Good sperm

Default Re: What's your blood type? I've heard that Type A prefer very little meat if an

The idea of your blood type having anything to do with your diet is frankly ridiculous. It's like saying hair or eye colour defines intelligence or whether you prefer sweet or savoury.

See here for a critique

BlackCats

I'm ashamed to say I bought this book a few years ago and because I am blood type A it said I was supposed to be vegetarian which I already was.

The advice was that I was supposed to give up eating a large group of foods that I really liked, I can't remember what they were - olives and green peppers were some of them I think. I didn't want to do that so I ignored it and gave the book to a charity shop.

Also the writer said that Blood type O should eat meat and I think that is the most common blood type so it promotes meat eating basically for the large proportion of the population.

I don't know why I bought it, the Blood Type theory seems to make no sense when I think about it now.

I've had two "nutritionists" tell me that I need to eat meat if I am blood type 'O'. This is why my brother asked me before he took his nutritionists advice on lowering his cholesterol.

Klytemnest

Quote Artichoke47 View Post
    I always thought this "diet" was a crock, but let's face it: some veg*ns want an excuse to go back to eating animals' bodies and secretions. This was wonderful news for those lack-of-will people.
    Actually, for me it had the opposite effect. My blood type is A-, so this is what prompted me to alter my diet and become an ovo-lacto-pesco vegetarian. But to be honest, this was just the last nudge. I had been thinking of becoming a vegetarian for the previous seven years...

Unfortunately, I imagine many people will use this book as justification for their omnivorous/carnivorous diets. You know what most people are like - they have their worldview and THEN seek out justification/rationalization for it. Peopleare going to do what tehy want to do and it won't take much work for them to find the justification for their actions. I suppose that is what I did when I became a vegetarian by telling people that it was "Eat Right 4 Your Type" that persuaded me to do it.

Default Need a good answer (re: blood types)

When I casually mention that I've become a vegan, some have been responding: "I can't be a vegan because of my blood type."

What do you say to that?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 9th, 2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Need a good answer (re: blood types)

You can tell them that the blood type diet is insufficiently backed up by evidence, and that as long as you are healthy, you can eat what ever you think is most ethical.
    context is everything

Thanks XRodolfox -- great answer!

Harpy, thanks so much for taking the time to find that thread for me. There's a lot to read, so now I can become armed for the masses!
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 9th, 2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: harpy post with link removed as threads merged

Good sperm

The 'Dr' who came up with the Blood Type diet (ie he pulled it out of his ass to make a shedload of money from naive idiots) died from obesity following his own eating rules.

Mmm..healthy.

Ahhh, best answer Absentminded! THAT is the one I will use, it says a lot

My partner is on the blood type diet and since ive met him im slowly doing it as well im type O which is the one where red meat is a medicne but im vegan and as long as you have protien in your diet your fine only thing i hate is i cant have potatos and i love them but we replace that with pumpkin. being on both the vegan diet and blood type is not hard you just need to learn what foods you should have more of and what food you can replace with other foods.
    if that makes sense.
    both me and my partner are healthy.
    the blood type diet also cleared up my skin problems such as acne and eczema i just need to have less sugar to make my skin that little bit better
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

Well that's good if it's working for you Sarah, and you're able to keep it vegan

im over the moon about been able to stay vegan.
    i find it so intersting that when i was a meat eater i sufferd from low iron it also runs in my family but now im vegan i no longer suffer from low iron my family were quite impressed because it made me quite ill but now im all better and have so much more energy
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

I'm fine and dandy - Type A!
    This just strikes me as absurd. No wheat? I suppose that cous cous and lentil bolognese I made the other day edged me closer to my grave!

Good sperm

Quote buttons View Post
    This just strikes me as absurd.
    That's because it is

Default Eat Right for Your Type

I recently took my son to a nutritionist/allergist. He's been having all sorts of trouble with his skin (ezcema), itchy and dry eyes, dripping nose etc. He's had these problems on and off since he was a baby, but it seems to be worse in the past 6 months. I can't put my finger on what has changed. This Dr. advocated the Eat Right for Your Type book. I got it from the library and it's very interesting. My blood type is A which the books describes as someone who should eat primarily vegan/vegetarian so that of course indicated to me and my lifestyle. My son, however, is an AB, which according to the book doesn't do well with meat, but should eat a minimal amount of fish and some skim-milk products (I think he mentioned, mozarella and goat milk products). Since the majority of his problems right now revolve around his skin, it makes sense to increase his cholesterol and fat (within moderation)...but of course, I'm also sure that I can find vegan options to increase his cholesterol and fat- any suggestions?

Our family originally became vegan for health reasons. It has transpired to involve moral/ethical reasons as we have read more and more about what is going in the world with the animals, etc. However, as a mother who has been dealing with a child with health issues for close to four years, I would be willing to try anything to get this little guy better (with the right amount of research and within reason, of course). Right now I feed my son 100% vegan and have been for well over a year. He is still having some severe health issues, so something needs to be tweaked, but I can't seem to understand how giving him dairy or other animal products would make him healthier. We are also running some blood tests to see about food allergies and environmental allergies...it's a very frustrating situation.
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 15th, 2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: (this post was moved from another thread)

according to recent news stories eczema could be almost cured by something as simple as installing a water softener in your home: http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=186690

i've also heard that dairy products are one of the main triggers for eczema, i think it would be very unwise to try introducing them to your son's diet. is he getting a good source of omega-3? that could well be beneficial to his condition.

There's no scientific evidence behind the Blood Type Diet. I'm a vegan and I have no idea what blood type I am. Veganism is right for me and it's proven healthy, and recognized by ADA to be a suitable diet for all stages of life; that's all I need to know.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    according to recent news stories eczema could be almost cured by something as simple as installing a water softener in your home: http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=186690

i've also heard that dairy products are one of the main triggers for eczema, i think it would be very unwise to try introducing them to your son's diet
    Two very good advice, Gorilla. I know people who cut dairy and that cut their eczema as well.

Thanks for the replies. Gorilla: I had a water softener guy out this week. We live in an apartment, so it is a little more tricky and has to be approved by mgt., but I'm hoping to get a softener within the next week or so (fingers crossed).

As far as Omega-3s go, I give him ground flax in our daily smoothies, olive oil, olives...I think those have omega-3s...what's a good vegan source of omegas? The dr. of course suggested giving him fish once a week or fish oil.

Just in case you lot haven't heard, the doctor who created these diets wrote another book a few years later, that claim that the blood type diet was all bunk, but his NEW diet, based on the 16 or so genotypes. I guess having 16 guides makes more money than 4.

Oh, and the genotype diet has just as much scientific evidence to back it up as the first one. NONE.