Thread: Arthur Ling 1919 - 2005 - R.I.P.

Unhappy Arthur Ling 1919 - 2005 - R.I.P.

I was sent this today.

From Adrian Ling
    18 January 2005 14:01

It is with deep regret we announce that our father Arthur Ling passed away in the early hours of 18th January 2005. Many, through his work and life interests, knew our Dad. He was a private man, uncomfortable in the public arena, but who reached out to many, touched and influenced them with his life style and views. His life and relationships were shaped by a strong sense of direction, distinct unwaving and uncompromising views on many subjects. It is these attributes that helped him to forge a way for the vegan lifestyle to be recognised in the face of much social unawareness.

He was not one for social norms, indulging in almost anti-establishment activities with unassuming relish from an early age. To his parents' horror, he became a vegan at the age of seven (in 1926 veganism was completely unheard of) when he witnessed a fish being killed at the seaside. He spent a lifetime promoting the vegan ideal.

His views on many subjects were essentially liberal. He was anti-war, egalitarian, a supporter of 'the common man'. A lover of the outdoors he was an active Naturist, known to many in his home village for his early morning swims in the sea. He was also a lover of sports, played tennis and badminton for many decades and in the 1970's founded and ran a local boys football club.

An accountant by profession he was involved in his first commercial project in the post war years. A company called Sunoil, based in Wales, was created to produce biodeisel from Sunflowers. Unfortunately this project was 50 years ahead of its time and did not enjoy commercial success. He is known by most for is work at PLAMIL and the Vegan Society. From his association with the Vegan Society in the 1950's he joined a group interested in producing a non-dairy milk, which eventually became Plantmilk Ltd, later changing to Plamil Foods Ltd, to which he dedicated himself. It produced in 1965 the first widely distributed Soya milk, a true achievement and again far ahead of its time. At retirement age in the 1980's, he continued to work actively for many years, being honoured with a number of 'lifetime' achievement awards. Whilst still participating in running the company he latterly and gradually dedicated himself more and more to research of the nutritional aspects of the vegan diet, his true love and passion.

He was made virtually house bound in the spring of 2004, by a rare skin disorder, known to be a symptom of the gradual breakdown of the immune system and cause of depression. In November 2004 he was admitted to hospital with a serious heart condition. Struggling with complications he died peacefully in his sleep.

He leaves us, his three children, Julie Trevor and Adrian.
    Thanks for making those vegan times change Arthur.

What a great man, to pursue the right way against odds, that we all benefited from. My condolences to Julie, Trevor, and Adrian.
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

What an absolutely fantastic man!!! R.I.P, Arthur!!

Great loss.

Great man

This is from the London Vegan Festival 2005 website.

Upon hearing of Arthur's poor health I wrote this poem which I sent to him on a card with our best wishes on the 17th January 2005.

Unfortunately it arrived too late for him to get a chance to read it.

If you can hear us now Arthur, we salute you ...

To Arthur Ling
    "The Plamil King"
    And vegan pioneer

We raise a glass
    To toast your class
    We're lucky you stopped here

Please take a bow
    From every cow
    Whose life you helped to save

And one from
    Every vegan
    On the road you helped to pave

Bernie Laprade

Mozbee

Default Re: Arthur Ling 1919 - 2005 - R.I.P.

We need more people like him, he deserves a statue.

When I first went vegan I was four or five months pregnant. I knew I couldn't eat animal products again, but had no dietary advice. In a bit of a state I phoned up the number on the back of the Plamil carton, and was put through to Arthur. He talked to me for ages on the phone, answering my questions, reassuring me, and being a "vegan buddy." Two days later there arrived in the post his booklet on raising vegan kids, and pages of handwritten notes and recipes. So I continued vegan, and a healthy vegan, and my son was born 8 pound 12 ounces, and is now a life long vegan, nine years old, 29kg and four foot five. Perfectly healthy.

The first time I met Arthur, at a vegan festival, I didn't know who he was. He must have remembered my voice from all those years before, because as Séamus bombed past me playing with another kid Arthur suddenly smiled, and said, "He never did get rickets, did he?"

This is why Neil and I set up the Vegan Buddies scheme. I would not be who I am today, or doing what I do today, if it hadn't been for Arthur's friendship and patience with a nervous new vegan. Séamus wrote to him a couple of days before he died, and I got to know Arthur a bit more after I started campaigning properly - he was a wonderful man, and the world is better for his having been in it, and poorer for his passing.

Mozbee

Reading that got me crying Realfood Mary. Thanks for sharing some details of your friendship.

Quote Mozbee
    Reading that got me crying
    ditto, we need more people like him.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Anyone going to the London Vegan Festival 05, please remember that it is dedicated to the memory of Plamil supremo Arthur Ling.