Thread: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak

Default The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak

I am glad to have this book, although I haven't had anything that is genuinely like dairy cheese, I thought a long time ago that someone on here said they had had results that were extremely similar. I think I've found that you have to just give it time to forget what exactly cheese was like and these are sort of similar and work in it's place. Real cheese looks horrible to me now but there is a bit of a gap with wanting something similar to use for things like on crackers, on toast, in general cooking.

I do really like the nutritional info in the front of this book too though.

Anyway! Some of the recipes I've tried with most sucess were:

Gee Whiz Spread p39 - although I've penciled in some suggestions on tweaking some of the amounts for next time, for instance a little less red pepper (although I think the only ones we can buy have skins on still but I just left them on anwyay), and less tahini because that was very pronounced, and maybe a bit more of the white beans.

Macaroni and Cheez p112 - just don't do what my hubby does and insist on using wholemeal flour because it really spoils the effect a bit, with the bits of bran stuck through it. I haven't made this myself, it's something my hubby has done, but it came out a bit dry on the pasta rather than runny like I'd like, but perhaps more oil or more milk might thin it out a bit. Or the problem might just be that it keeps thickening up even when you've served it?

Block Uncheezes - I tried a couple of these but they just turned out really weird and rubbery and I didn't like them on anything they were suggested for. I think the rubberyness and the shape of the containers I used to set them in didn't help at all.

Lemon Teasecake p169 - this was FAB!!! More appetising appearance than other tofu-based cheesecakes I've tried making, because it didn't have the greyish look tofu gives. This has a pleasing yellow colour from the millet. I couldn't get it 100% smooth in the food processor, I'm not sure if that was from the cashews maybe. If I made it again I could perhaps try using ground cashews (ie in a packet!). I think I put some lemon zest in it for extra lemon-ness, since I already had the lemon out for the juice and I had a fancy new zester to try out! I think I made it with the 'graham cracker crust' but I just used digestives... and I think it either made way too much, or not enough. Sorry I can't be more specific!!!! I think to make this for a special occasion I'd have to make it first to check which it was - I think it *may* have been too much crust fixings, and not enough cheesecake mixture for the cake tin I used (which I thought was the size the recipe called for). So maybe less crust and twice or 1&1/2 lots of cake mix. I get thin cakes a lot though so I think I just need to measure the tin I'm using!! I must be inches out!!

There are so many interesting looking recipes to try out, but I'd love to hear from others what you have tried and what results you had.

PygmyGoat

Default Re: The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak

I was really excited when I bought this book but quickly felt disappointed . I suppose it's not the author's fault that I live in Hicksville, but most of the ingredients are nigh on impossible for me to obtain, unless I want a 100 mile round trip on roads that haven't been updated since the Horse and Cart era .

I did manage to make one of the block Cheeses which was quite nice, then I gave up and donated the book to my local library .

sorry I just realised I missed the thread that was down lower in the forum - can someone move it for me please! Sorry!! I did look first, I promise couldn't see the wood for the trees!

what sort of ingredients did you have problems with PG? could you not have ordered them by post?

PygmyGoat

^ Most places won't deliver to me as I'm too far up North and too rural . I had a problem with most of the ingredients! .

Vegan Traveler

I love this book.. While the block cheeses do not feel like cheese, they perform like cheese.. Try melting them down and making nacho cheese mixed with your favorite salsa.. The bri, while it doesn't taste like bri, is a wonderful spreadable cheese that people actually think is cheese! Also, the artichoke dip is wonderful! I added a package of spinach to it so it was spinach artichoke dip, and my friends and family couldn't tell the difference!

PainterLady

OMG! The Gazebo cheezecake is so awesome! I top it with cherrys and cherry syrup! I love Joanne Stepaniak!

I am really looking forward to this book arriving in the post! I requested it as an early present for Christmas from my parents. I am sending them and my sister 'Vegan Feasts'. Spreading the word smoothly

I've got this book somewhere - probably an older version than the one you've got Jamie: I think mine may just be called "The Uncheese Cookbook" come to think of it.

The main thing I remember making from it was a kind of fondue, which was quite nice hot but a bit repulsive if allowed to cool down . I think the recipe included oats which made it suitably glutinous.

mmmm sounds interesting! There seem several recipes for fondue variations in the Ultimate book, I was thinking of having one soon, but I need to tidy up my room to see if I can find the book (if I can't it means it's on the boat to Australia!). It's the sort of weather for fondue!

I think there was also a Welsh rabbit type thing, or perhaps I just put the leftover fondue on toast.

Must give it another try although I may have the same problem as you with locating the book (well, it won't be on its way to Australia but it might as well be!).