Thread: Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Thumbs up Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

this recipe was in VeggieLife magazine last year...I hope it is OK to post?

Honey (or Honey Substitute) Whole Wheat Crust

1 tablespoon honey or raw sugar (i used sugar, but I am sure you could use any liquid sweetener in place of the honey, which is why I left the honey part in here)
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons canola or olive oil (i used olive)
    1 1 /2 cups whole wheat flour (i used whole wheat pastry flour, from white wheat)
    1/2 cup unbleached white flour, plus more for dusting
    cooking spray/oil (i used aluminum foil dusted with corn meal to line the cookie sheet)
    this wasn't in the recipe, but I also used some corn meal for dusting and kneading so maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of corn meal was mixed into mine)

1) In a large mixing bowl, dissolve sweetener and yeast in warm water. Let stand for 7 minutes, until mixture is creamy.
    2) Stir in salt, oil, and whole wheat flour. Add 1/2 cup white flour and mix to achieve a dough that's soft and springy. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface (i used corn meal here) and let rest for 5 minutes.
    3) Knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. (I worked some corn meal as well as more white flour into the dough until the dough stopped sticking to my hands - I probably added another 1/2 to 3/4 cup of dry ingredients). Lightly oil a medium bowl, place dough inside, cover with a clean towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
    4) Punch dough down and divide in half. (Makes enough dough for 2 large pizzas. At this point, dough may be rolled and made into pizzas or rolled. prebaked, and frozen, or frozen as is).
    5) To bake: Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray or oil 2 12 inch pizza pans or baking sheets. (i used 1 cookie sheet for half the dough, i put aluminum foil on it, and covered it with corn meal. I then hand stretched (not using a rolling pin) the dough to form an oval shape, and turned and pinched the edges over to make a crust.)
    6) Roll each half of dough into a 12 inch circle and place on a prepared pan. Bake for 5 minutes, or until crust is puffed and lightly browned. Top with selected sauce, cheese, and veggies and bake for about 15 minutes (i actually took my pizza out after 7 and it was quite done, i didn't use cheese though. I think it would have been burned if I left it in for 15, so maybe check in 5 minute intervals).

I brushed the crust with olive oil and topped the pizza with a layer of sauce, sautéed onions and baby portabella slices sautéed with garlic and then black olives. On top of that I added Italian seasoning, fresh rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil. I also used nutritional yeast on half. I think next time, I will put another layer of sauce on top, cause it tends to cook down and I really like sauce.

I ate about half the pizza and was stuffed. the dough was enough to make 2 pizzas, and I put the other half in the fridge for later.

Default Re: Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

How much yeast is in a package? We buy ours in bulk.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

2 1/4 teaspoons. I don't know what that would be in Canadian.

Thanks.

And I really don't get that "what that would be in Canadian" part. If your talking about our dollar, it isn't insanely lower than the US. In fact at my work we give 8 cents on the dollar.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

That pizza crust sounds really good. Something with a lot more flavor than plain white crust. Thanks for putting down what kind of whole wheat flour you used. I always get a bit confused when someone just says whole wheat flour as I find there can be quite a difference in flours.

No problem Jane, I have noticed that too.

This is the exact flour I used, and I have been using it in almost everything lately - it is very sweet and turns out great!

https://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/...product_ID=426

Quote Tigerlily
    Thanks.

And I really don't get that "what that would be in Canadian" part. If your talking about our dollar, it isn't insanely lower than the US. In fact at my work we give 8 cents on the dollar.
    I would think that the pp was thinking you didn't use teaspoons as a measurement.

Great recipe. I'm definitely trying this one, my dh and I are big pizza fans.