Thread: English countryside 'almost gone'

Default English countryside 'almost gone'

Default Re: English countryside 'almost gone'

I think the actual countryside it's self is alive and kicking when its wildlife is not being chased by idiots with guns and dogs. It looks all well and healthy around Somerset.

One part of that report makes me smile when it says farming is on the decrease well as long as that is livestock farming I shed no tears for those.

Make room for organic vegtable farms thats what the people really want.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Gliondrach

Too much building going on. I know that people want houses but we can't always have what we want. Too many people living on their own. Too many divorces and separations, leading to the need for two houses where before only one was needed. Yes, I know people sometimes need to clear out from unhealthy relationships. I'm just pointing out causes or reasons. Jobs not being where people already are, resulting in people moving to where there are jobs but not enough houses. Too many empty houses.

Around Newcastle, just this year, I've noticed half a dozen small sites with offices and workshops that have been built in fields. Housing developments by the dozen, again in fields or on urban land that has been standing empty for years and that had wildlife on it.

Just too many people.

Quote snaffler
    I think the actual countryside it's self is alive and kicking when its wildlife is not being chased by idiots with guns and dogs. It looks all well and healthy around Somerset.
    It may look superficially well, but I doubt that it's very healthy with all the pesticides that are used and all the waste from factory farms that's polluting the waterways. I live in the already overcrowded South East where the vast majority of the new housing developments that the government want to see built is proposed and there are many protest groups trying to stop unneeded and unwanted development.

Greenfield sites are being built on at an alarming rate. Once this type of land was safe from the developers, but no more. Local councils have many empty properties in their areas that could be used to house the local homeless but do little to track down the owners so these properties are left standing empty for months or years. Town centres are being developed with offices, clubs and pubs and more and more shops, not affordable housing for those who need it. New 'executive' housing estates are being built for those who can afford it with no regard to the damage done to the environment or to the fact that these houses are not needed at all but wanted by developers and councillors (some of whom who no doubt get a few back-handers). Our ancient woodlands are being destoyed at a rate of knots and our countryside built on because of the greed of property developers and those whose idea of a good day out is to go to the nearest out-of-town superstore or shopping mall.

Not to mention road building and the destruction of ancient sites!! We have a lot to answer for as human beings!!

Having moved from the crowded South East, to the more roving hills and mountains of Cumbria, I have come to realise how lucky I am in respect of open countryside. But as you say Spiral, the hidden cost to the land isn't evident and the high amount of livestock farming here is definately having an effect with the excesive amounts of slurry etc..

As for building houses, locals here can't afford to buy homes because folks from the south buy second and third homes in the lakes pushing up prices etc.. I think this should be regulated or stopped. So because of that more affordable house are being built for the locals to buy, while holiday homes stay empty for a good part of the year. As much as I don't like the thought of building yet more houses, I can see why it is happening.

At the end of the day, I wish they were building more ecological homes, that fitted in better with the surrounding countryside, and had less impact on the earth. Many folk want to live in the countryside too but sadly still have towney mentalities because they are happy to dump rubbish over their back fences, I have seen this on many new estates that have encroached onto the countryside. There is such a lack of respect for nature.

We are hoping to get away from all that and buy some land in Scotland. Then we hope to build an ecological house out of straw bales and natural materials, and live a veganic life style off the land :0) as environmentally concious as possible. We are in the first stages of making that dream reality at the moment.

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

[Hey Stormy, which bit of Cumbria are you in? I lived in Keswick for quite a while...]

I'm a bit unhappy about the concept of The Countryside. It suggests what's already there (bad farming practice, retired bourgeoisie, 4x4s, roast beef sandwiches) is somehow worth preserving as it is. Not unlike 'greenbelt', it's really just a hostile concept to keep the scrunters (like me) out.

I'd also like to see planning restrictions to exclude every new build in rural areas which isn't to the highest environmentally-friendly standard. Conversely, I think you should be entitled to build on a field anywhere if you're development is zero(ish) impact.
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

Hi Terrance Max :0)

We live in a village near Penrith, the views from the house are amazing, I do feel truely blessed I have to say <smile> only thing I find is a lack of like minded people!! still I am old enough and ugly enuff not to need such a support system anymore, and I still have many vegan friends scattered to all four corners of the earth!! Mind you being apart of this forum helps <grin> just to know there are other like minded folk (apart from the friends I have known for years) out there worldwide, is groovy!!

Keswick is lovely, well all of the lake district is. Where is skipton, is it Yorkshire?? I am crap at geography :0(

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Yes TM, the countryside is overrated in many ways. For one thing it's not some untarnished wilderness, entirely manmade and shaped of course, was all forest til humans made it fields for grazing livestock and occasional crops. Something like 80% of rivers were created by "man" too.

See the sheep? Lambs to the slaughter. See the pheasants? Being fed there so men can come shoot them soon. See the fish in the lake? There so members can hook them out and suffocate them. See the deer? etc etc

Quote StormyPagan
    We live in a village near Penrith, the views from the house are amazing
    I used to know a really nice vegan who lived in Eamont Bridge. But we lost touch, so that's not much help! I love the Pennines near you, Cross Fell et al - proper wilderness...

Skipton is in N. Yorkshire up the A65 from Bradford and Keighley. It's like Keswick with a tenth of the charm and a tenth of the tourists...

Quote Lincoln Imp
    See the sheep? Lambs to the slaughter. See the pheasants? Being fed there so men can come shoot them soon. See the fish in the lake? There so members can hook them out and suffocate them. See the deer? etc etc
    ...a status quo epitomised by the Countryside Alliance
    We are saved in the end by the things that ignore us. Andrew Harvey

Quote terrace max
    I love the Pennines near you, Cross Fell et al - proper wilderness...
    Yeah, the Pennines are beautiful and rugged!! And they way the change all the time because of the weather/seasons is something to behold. Some great places for walking the dogs too :0)

I'd love to live out in the country one day. Spending much of your life in a city is not healthy I don't think. I've only started to appreciate some of the countryside that exists on my doorstep. It's far from peaceful and serene however. The last time I went outside Bristol there was a shooting gang driving about in Land Rovers killing birds
    There is probably still a lot of undeveloped countryside left. A lot of it can't actually be developed because the land isn't suitable. No matter where you go though, you're always going to come across an empty Coca Cola can or crisp packet to spoil the natural beauty and remind you of the destructive power of cities.

That's why I like the Highlands of Scotland Coconut, it is one of the few places left on this island that has a wild feel to it. It is absolutley beautiful and we hope to make it our permanent home in a few years time :0) The beaches are white sands with turquoise seas, surrounded by amazing mountains. Ok the weather can be unpredictable but I like that, I have been up there when the weather was in its 80's/90's but I have also seen the rain, but that all just adds to the charm of such a magical place. Scotland is definately my spiritual home and nowhere else gives me a sense of home and belonging. Fortunatley, we only live about 20 ish miles from Scotland now, and as soon as I go over the boarder I feel I have come home :0) I must have lived there in a past life !!!

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Gliondrach

Stormy, do you go to Castlerigg or Long Meg? Those are nice photographs of the Rollrights and Stonehenge. I've never seen any of these ancient monuments. Too many people go to the most popular ones for my liking.

Well, Gliondrach :0)

Funny you should ask that as I have pics of both waiting to go on the website when I get them downsized blah blah!!! We live a couple of miles from Long Meg, and go and see her and her daughters quite often to pay our respects, and Castlerigg when we are down that way. I had friends up here the other week so we took them all then!! But there are numerous ancient sites here, and although Stonesy has done a lot of them as he has lived here for a number of years now, I still have quite a few to see when we get our new ambulance on the road, it is getting a bit hard to stay on the motorbike with my bump getting larger. Stonesy is originally from Derbyshire, and used to go to Nine Ladies alot, where he got known as the keeper of the stones as he was always up there. You might have heard of the protests up there as they were trying to quarry near that particular ancient site, and so a protest camp has been there for a while now!!

Before we met each other, we had both already been to many ancient sites on this Island and a few Hebridian ones. My son is called Lewis Callanish after the magical standing stones on Lewis. They are amazing http://www.stonepages.com/scotland/callanish.html I went there with his dad back before he was born, and we were both blown away by them :0) Lewis's dad and I were together 14 years, so we saw many ancient sites over the years, travelling around in our old ambulance the length and breadth of our green and pleasant land.

I am always amazed by the sheer magical beauty of every one, even those that you find by accident as there are many that arn't marked. Stonesy does a lot of wild camping on his own, and often finds them on his travels. And of course when we can we try and get to an ancient site for the pagan sabbats.

Anyway, waffling again hehehe!!

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Quote Stormypagan
    That's why I like the Highlands of Scotland Coconut, it is one of the few places left on this island that has a wild feel to it. It is absolutley beautiful and we hope to make it our permanent home in a few years time :0) The beaches are white sands with turquoise seas, surrounded by amazing mountains. Ok the weather can be unpredictable but I like that, I have been up there when the weather was in its 80's/90's but I have also seen the rain, but that all just adds to the charm of such a magical place. Scotland is definately my spiritual home and nowhere else gives me a sense of home and belonging. Fortunatley, we only live about 20 ish miles from Scotland now, and as soon as I go over the boarder I feel I have come home :0) I must have lived there in a past life !!!

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX
    That sounds just beautiful! You are so lucky to have found your home

I am looking forward to moving out of the city someday. It all hinges on various financial bits and pieces......but it will happen!

All you have to do is believe it will happen Roxy, and it will :0) (but you know that already) I am a firm believer of the power of postive thinking, and of course the guidance of my angels and spirit guides :0) I have a very eclectic belief system!!

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX