Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire pudding

Default Re: Yorkshire pudding

i changed my mind for dinner tonight. tonights its yorkshire puddings and gravy and roasted garlic potatoes!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

IndigoSea

Oh lord, I had serious issues getting yorkshire puddings to rise when I did use eggs! couldn't imagine how badly I'd fail without them

Quote foxytina_69
    1 cup all-purpose flour (we use rice flour only because were celiac)
    1 cup soymilk
    egg replacer equal to 2 eggs
    1/2 tsp salt
    used this recipe today foxy and cut it in half as it was just me eating the vegan ones.

i used 1/4 cup ordinary flour and 1/4 spelt flour.

tasted really nice, doughy and soft with a delicate crispy surface - mmmm they were good with gravy and mint sauce all over them.
    (plus carrots, spinach, fresh peas, rosemary potatoes, stuffing)

paulvegan

I'll give them a go now , since cedar wasn't been poisoned ;D

well i felt fine to type thi................

paulvegan

rolfl

*makes drumming movements*

bo dum pum chchchchch

paulvegan

R O L F L

im glad you liked them cedar. thats just how mine always turn out. soft on the inside and crispy on the outside and smothered with gravy!

im making these again tonight hahaha.

my hubbie makes these at Xmas - soya milk, egg replacer etc... but he uses olive oil mixed with a little sesame oil to cook them in - they come out nice and nutty flavoured.... but it is still hit and miss if they all rise!

coney

Yorkshire puddings...sounds like the basic Southern U.S. biscuit. Not a sweet "cookie" biscuit like in the UK, but just your basic flour/milk/egg mixture that you bake, then put gravy on, or butter and honey.

I'm a Yankee, and have never experienced the Yorkshire Pudding...

OK. I tried this tonight. From all the various posts I decided to use:
    1 cup flour, 1 cup soya milk, 2 eggs worth of no-egg and 1/2 tsp salt.
    Wisked with electric mixer for 2 mins till frothy.
    I needed to add a little extra milk as the mix was way too thick.

Remembering my mums old method for traditional ones when I was a kid, I pre-heated the tray, and lined the cups with melted Pure-spread. Poured in a heaped desert spoon of mix in each and baked in HOT oven (about 220C).

They tasted OK, but they didn't rise much.
    As veganJohn said - "Ice Hockey Pucks"

So what am I doing wrong? Someone suggested to me that I add a little baking soda. Or perhaps there was too much salt?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

i dont think there was too much salt, but it doesnt sound like you put nearly enough in each. i fill it right to the top on each cup. theyre not going to rise very much as a vegan yorkshire pudding, so i just fill it right up and then it doesnt need to rise alot.

Thanks Foxy !
    Why don't they rise though? What are we missing?
    Does anyone know?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I haven't perfected yorkshires yet, but each time i try they are getting better. Taste is pretty much there and they do rise, but not amazingly (more than hockey puck). I don't use egg replacer ever in any cooking.

The secret with normal yorkshires and seems to be true with ones without egg is that the oven has to be very hot and the tray preheated with a generous amount of oil in. The oil needs to start sizzling as soon as the batter goes in and they need to be bunged in the oven ASAP. The amount of oil should be such that the batter goes in and is suspended in it (i.e. there's a thin layer of oil all around).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

yes thats how youre supposed to cook them, but i found it didnt make a difference in mine. i like them better without actually. i found them too crispy that way. when i make them without the oil, theyre softer.

Agreed.. My oven was very hot (we call it "The Fires of Hell" in our house), and I did have the oil - just you described. That's how I remember doing it with my mum when I was a kid. Maybe I'll give it another go and get them into the pan a bit faster next time. Plus I'll add more mixture. I'll let you know how I get on.

Funnily enough I made yorkshire puds last night using a recipe that works well with gravy - it rises and is pretty light and crispy:

Makes 3 puds (I make them in a 6 x 2 deep muffin tin):

50g self raising flour
    100ml soya milk
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp egg replacer (I use orgran "no egg")
    pinch salt
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp sunflower oil
    30g hard cooking fat

Mix everything apart from the hard cooking fat together and whisk well to form a batter (I use a hand whisk).

Put a muffin tray into the oven on 220 celsius and allow to get up to temp, put 10g of the hard fat into each of 3 of the muffin "craters" and put into the oven until its melted and at temp

pour a third of the batter into each of the 3 "craters" and place in oven immediately - cook for about 15 minutes until the top has gone golden brown.

i was talking to my boyfriends parents about yorkshire pudding the other day - they're british! and bread sauce - and how we could possibly veganize them. ill have to give them a go and see if i can make them remotely as good and maybe win them over to some veganized versions of english staples
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote vegmuncher View Post
    Funnily enough I made yorkshire puds last night using a recipe that works well with gravy - it rises and is pretty light and crispy:

Makes 3 puds (I make them in a 6 x 2 deep muffin tin):

50g self raising flour
    100ml soya milk
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp egg replacer (I use orgran "no egg")
    pinch salt
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp sunflower oil
    30g hard cooking fat

Mix everything apart from the hard cooking fat together and whisk well to form a batter (I use a hand whisk).

Put a muffin tray into the oven on 220 celsius and allow to get up to temp, put 10g of the hard fat into each of 3 of the muffin "craters" and put into the oven until its melted and at temp

pour a third of the batter into each of the 3 "craters" and place in oven immediately - cook for about 15 minutes until the top has gone golden brown.
    Aha ! Self-raising flour PLUS baking powder ! I was going to try the self-raising flour too, and now I definitely will.

david.summo

I tried these awhile back from a recipe in a book, they tasted really good but there was little rising, maybe there are some different things we can put in to make them rise. isn't self raising flour just plain flour with baking powder in it anyway?

Not sure, but I've tried it with both and self-raising worked better. The real key is the hard vegetable fat being really hot when the batter is added and then putting it into the hot oven immediately. Thats what causes the rising and crisping, otherwise it can go too "cakey".

I'm going to be trying some of these. I would absolutely love some vegan yorkshire puddings for my Christmas dinner.

I tried the above recipe with a couple of variations. I used plain flour because I don't have any self raising in and three tsp of baking powder instead of one. Also instead of putting hard fat in the baking tray I put a little oil in each crater. Other than that I followed the recipe. These worked very well, the only thing that I think is a potential problem is that they taste a little salty even though I didn't actually add any. I think this might be down to the bicarbonate of soda in the baking powder.

Next time I make these I'm going to try using wholemeal flour and two tsp of baking powder, or I might stick with the one tsp and try self raising wholemeal flour. These did rise very nicely though and were light and airy, unlike other ones I've tried.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

I tried this recipe on Christmas day, given to me by a friend at work. I really liked them though they didn't rise that much. Next time I'll try them with half wholemeal half white flour as I expect they will rise more that way. I used oat milk which I like best for cooking, and I did heat the oil in the pan before adding the batter. I don't use egg replacer so I'm glad to find this recipe.

Vegan Yorkshire pud

Also make a great toad-in-the-hole (this is the ‘hole’ - use veggie sausage for the toad.)

85g / 3 oz / 1/3 cup vegan margarine (e.g. ‘Pure’ available from Morrison’s, etc.)
    285g / 10 oz / 21/2 cups wholewheat flour
    Pinch of sea salt
    2 teaspoons of baking powder
    570ml / 1 pint / 21/2 cups soya milk

1) Melt the margarine.

2) In a bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, melted margarine and soya milk.

3) Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin. Bake at 425oF / 225oC / Gas Mark 7 for about 15 minutes; then at 350oF / 180oC / Gas Mark 4 for a further 15 - 20 minutes.

Talking of Christmas food I made the bread sauce from Rose Elliot Vegan Feasts and it was delicious!

ITs Sunday and I'm getting very excited about the vegan roast I'll be making later on tonight...

especially as now I've looked at this thread I can attempt to make yorkshire pudding!! this will be the first time since being vegan... wish me luck!

I did make pancakes on pancake day a couple of weeks ago and they were very tasty so I have faith that the yorkshire puds will turn out fine.

by the sounds of it they won't raise like non-v ones, but who cares they'll taste better simply in the knowledge that theyre animal friendly

also, EFCliz- THANK YOU for reminding me about toad in the hole- I SHALL be making this very soon and I'll let you know how it turns out...

x x x

I just made puds with this recipe:

1 Cup flour (8 fl oz)
    1 Cup soya milk (8 fl oz)
    2 tablespoons plain soya yoghurt
    salt and pepper

Heated oil in cake tray for about 10 minutes on max setting
    Cooked them on max setting for 20 minutes

Didn't rise massively, but were really nice all the same. Next time I will do them for about 15 minutes as they were a bit too crispy, really.

Smile Re: Yorkshire pudding

hello pob-
    i will try them with vegan yoghurt next time..

yay to vegan yorkshire puds, they were delicious! yay to any vegan food actually (just not peas...though I'm working on this) x x

mmm i made these again for dinner tonight.

i think the trick with the whole rising issue, it doesnt really matter if they rise or not. just double the recipe, and fill the muffin tins up all the way. that way you dont get small yorkshire puddings, you get full sized yorkshire puddings.

thats how i do it! i also like to let them cool first and then microwave them when ready to eat. theyre softer and fluffier that way, rather than fresh out of the oven i find. but that may be just because i make them gluten free.

i make these all the time and never have an issue.

Yeah, I filled them up to the top. Used a good dollop of olive oil in each depression, too, as I don't use teflon coated stuff, so I thought they might stick - they didn't though

Had no yoghurt so modified the recipe like this:

1 cup plain flour
    1 cup soya milk
    2 rounded tablespoons lentil flour
    salt and black pepper
    dried herbs

Batter tasted of peas when raw, but tasted lovely when cooked.

15 minutes on highest heat and they were just right, crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

Mmmm. Do you have any pics of your masterpieces? And can we all come to yours for Sunday lunch?

Forgot to take pics - too busy eating them.

I'm making more at the moment, so I'll try and take a pic. Trying out a new muffin tray though, so they may come out different.

Quote Pob View Post
    Had no yoghurt so modified the recipe like this:

1 cup plain flour
    1 cup soya milk
    2 rounded tablespoons lentil flour
    salt and black pepper
    dried herbs

Batter tasted of peas when raw, but tasted lovely when cooked.

15 minutes on highest heat and they were just right, crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.
    i tried that tonight, and they were quite tasty, except i think i used a little too much baking powder. it's the first time i've had yorkshire puddings though, so i haven't got anything to compare it too...
    Piggy

Baking powder? I didn't use any baking powder at all.

For my next batch I'm gonna use yoghurt and lentil flour - the lentil flour adds a bit of colour to it.

all the previous posts used self-raising flour, so i just assumed that's what you used too and as i don't have any, i used baking powder and normal flour.
    also, i used chickpea flour instead of lentil flour and water and a dash of olive oil instead of soya milk...an adaptation of an adaptation of a ....etc

what's the purpose of the yoghurt? does it give it a bit of a sour taste?

edit: i just realised that you actually stated "plain flour" in the recipe...hehe, i'm one for seeing what i want to see..
    Piggy

He he - you have invented a whole new recipe!

I just thought the yoghurt might work as a bit of an egg replacer. And it seemed to.

Quote Pob View Post
    I'm making more at the moment, so I'll try and take a pic.
    *waits*

They weren't good. The other tray is better.

Will make some good ones soon.

Maybe tonight

Damn it all to hell. I spent hours on preparation with every possible attention to detail and got - HOCKEY PUCKS
    Corum refuses to give up until he has mastered the black arts of vegan yorkshire puddings.
    He says when making non vegan yp's you don't fill the tin right up to the top - you fill it about one third way so it rises up the sides giving that classic bowl shape. I really don't think there is any substitute for egg that has the right clinging and setting consistency to do that.
    Silent but deadly :p

hemlock, vegan ones dont rise, thats why i fill them to the top. they only rise a tiny bit.

and dont use hot oil in the tins. everyone says to do that but i find it makes them hard. i just grease the pain and then put in the mix and bake them normal.

also, yorkshire puddings are normally harder when fresh baked, then when they are left to sit for a while in the fridge and you eat them later. i always cook my yorkshires hours before dinner and then warm them up when were ready to eat them. theyre always softer that way.

im making yorkshires tonight! yum!

I'm never making YP's again, I'm a broken woman
    Silent but deadly :p

I tried many times and like others i get ice hockey pucks also. However I vary the recipe each time in the hope one day I hit on the missing ingredient!

Yesterday I tried adding a couple of teaspoons of Vital wheat Gluten powder. The idea was that this would give the mixture the ablity to retain structure when they started to rise upwards.

The result was ice hockey pucks. Gloom....

Next week I am going to craft some yorkshire pudding frames using wire and dip them in batter mix and then bake. Deconstruct the wireframe work....and hopefully...the perfect vegan yorkshire pudding. No more gloom

hahaha, henry you foole.

ba dum *tish*

I have put my animation skills to good use to demonstrate succinctly the difference between a normal yorkshire pudding and a vegan one.

Oooh! I made more today. I used the lentil flour version of my recipes (had no yoghurt). New secret ingredient, though - I used coconut oil (the cheap deodorised stuff) as the fat in the pan. Came out really well - they even rose in a fairy cake kind of way.

I may have eaten 6 of them
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Hmm.. good one pob. That might be worth a try.

I think what makes a difference is coconut oil can be heated much hotter without smoking. I had the oven on max - about 250 Celcius. Doing that with olive oil, the oil smokes badly and presumably doesn't do the job as the puddings stick to the pan (I use a stainless steel pan).

I got a tub of KTC oil for £1.49 for 500ml - so it's not too pricey.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Still waiting for photographic evidence

I did try it with coconut oil once but my GF came along and put lime in the coconut and drank em both up.

Result: Hockey Pucks.

View my latest batch of vegan yorkshires here: http://www.yourniagara.ca/cmsimages/content/8253882.jpg