Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together

If you want to know your body fat percentage, you'd have to go to a health professional or a physical trainer. They have a few different ways to measure it. I had mine done last year with the caliper method. Oh, and you can buy body fat analysis scales. I have one of those. It's a bit discouraging though, so I wouldn't recommend it. I hope you start to feel better, too.

Squig, you'll be in awesome shape!! Lots of good classes
    And only two more days until the gym opens!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

The pilates class I signed up to has been cancelled and I've been put into one that starts at 7.30am :O, oh well, I'm sure I will still love it! Went to body pump yesterday which was fuuun, today I want to go swimming but I'm vv snowed under work so might skip it. Damn dissertation!

skipped swimming yesterday but did go to kickboxing today, very very hard workout, I think I might ache a little tomorrow . and I have to be up at 7.00 to go to pilates!

Do you enjoy kickboxing, Squig? I would lovelove to do that.

I've been walking and cycling lately after months of not doing much after quitting the gym to try and save money. I feel so much better even after only a month

I did a an hour walk on Sunday, cycled for an hour last night and walked an hour this morning.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Kickboxing is the best!

I lost 3.5 pounds in 2 weeks (since new years). Two more weeks and I should be good!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Yeh I adore kick boxing. I have done it for 2.5 years and still am keen to go every week, often twice a week. Get all my frustration out and is a great work out, I hope I will carry it on after I graduate. Off to pilates now!! Well done on your weightloss Diashel! I'm loosing no weight but I am hopefully building up any muscle I have lost.

It's cool to read, what you all are doing! It inspires to try something new.
    I always wanted to try kickboxing, but never get the chance to.
    At the moment I go to a Basketballclub twice a week, and it's not possible for me to go in another sportsclub then (even if I would love to).
    But I run 3 to 5 times a week, cycling and swimming sometimes.

Keep on moving!

WildWitch

OK im joining you guys here, my body is a mess at the moment iv gained so much weight since i had been suffering from depression last summer. Mentaly im feeling very fit right now, depression lifted, lots to look forward to in my life and the nasty little turd that caused a lot of it with his controling ways has totaly gone from all aspects of my life, im free and loving life right now. I have some great friends that have supported me, love me for who i am and iv just moved house last week for a totaly new start.

Soooooo now its time to get the body fit again. Going to start with a food diary and gradualy build up to exercising again. I will start pampering myself regularly and putting me first at last.

I am determined to do this. I deserve to be healthy now iv found some happiness.

That's great wilwitch, so glad to hear things are better for you, and good luck with the fitness!!

I havn't done any excersize at all since thursday and probably won't be able to do any tomorrow either, sister has been staying this weekend. But on tuesday I will be back at body pump. My legs are looking way more toned, I'm starting to get the pay off . Might be able to go swimming tomorrow morning which would be cool, fingers crossed.

WildWitch

Because of the accident i had recently and the depression i suffered after, i might be able to get my GP to recommend me for exercise on prescription. I probably need help getting back into shape these days. Pisses me off sometimes as i was so fit up till about 2 years ago, was even a fitness instructor and dancer when i left school. Never thought id end up with a body like this. Im staying positive though and will get some shape back to this wobbly blob very soon.

I used to do body pump, salsaerobics, step (which knackered my knees), kick aerobics, gym, swimming, hiking, cycling and dancing phew, just typing all those words now make me feel faint lol.

Iv got a few belly dancing instruction dvd's here, gonna give those a go as i love the music and its such a sensual type of dancing. Will get myself some confidence to get myself in a class one day soon.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Kickboxing is the best!

I lost 3.5 pounds in 2 weeks (since new years). Two more weeks and I should be good!
    That's great!

Quote squigaletta View Post
    Yeh I adore kick boxing. I have done it for 2.5 years and still am keen to go every week, often twice a week. Get all my frustration out and is a great work out, I hope I will carry it on after I graduate.
    I bet it's great for getting out frustration, I really think I should look for a class around here or get together with a friend who has some boxing gear.

I cycled for an hour on Friday arvo, 30 mins on Saturday and another hour on Sunday.

WildWitch

wish i could do that kind of thing again, sadly my health probs wont let me at the moment, hopefully working up to it though, will take a while.

Good luck Wildwitch! You can definitely do this!! Especially since you have experience with different types of exercise.

Good job Dia, Squig, and Kitteh! You all sound so motivated.

Wow, I'm impressed with everyone's progress! I agree with Ella, Squig, Dia and Kitteh all sound to be well motivated and doing well.

Best of luck, Wildwitch. I'm sure you can manage.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Off to the pool!! Do you like swimming wildwitch? I always find it a good way to ease back into exercise if I have got out of shape a little. I could see definition in my stomach today (lots of favorable lighting but still) plus I gave up my policy of not weighing myself at the start of the new year and since the 4th of Jan I have lost 6lbs.

WildWitch

Havnt swimmed for a while due to my accident, was worried about getting infections in my wound, much better now though and healed so im sure i could go back in the pool soon enough.

Im getting a lot of joint pain lately though which is worrying me, particularly elbows and in my legs.

Quote squigaletta View Post
    I gave up my policy of not weighing myself at the start of the new year
    Hehe, I have that policy too! Mostly just because I don't own a scale nor is there one in my parents' house for when I visit them.
    Quote WildWitch View Post
    Havnt swimmed for a while due to my accident, was worried about getting infections in my wound, much better now though and healed so im sure i could go back in the pool soon enough.

Im getting a lot of joint pain lately though which is worrying me, particularly elbows and in my legs.
    Wouldn't the chlorine prevent an infection in your wound, though? I think swimming should be good if you have joint pain, because it's very easy on your joints. (This makes me REALLY want to go swimming, I haven't been since summer and I love swimming!)

Quote mariana View Post
    Hehe, I have that policy too! Mostly just because I don't own a scale nor is there one in my parents' house for when I visit them.
    Same, but I work at a vet clinic and we have a giant scale there, but I think it's off a few kilos, it vaires everyday so I just avoid standing on it

I only cycled 30 mins yest'day arvo, felt like I had no energy.

I want to get fit and healthy, I'm such a lazy-bones!

I walk the dog for 30-45 mins a day, brisk walking, but want to do more. So I've decided I'm going to do the Couch to 5k running programme, which will have me running three times a week, and I'm about to start judo, just as soon as I can throw off this darn cold

Good luck with your exercise, everyone

Quote fiamma View Post
    and I'm about to start judo, just as soon as I can throw off this darn cold
    Ippon throw, I hope (a little Judoki humour there).
    Judo rules, it's the gentle art and is all about relative passivity and using your opponent's aggression.
    I reached brown belt 2nd Dan before stopping in my late teens.

Played another hour of football, I felt a bit stiff (matron!) after playing on Thursday but scored a good goal and passed the ball well. We drew.

Keep it up everyone!
    x
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Couldn't make it to kickboxing because of stupid testing but am going on sunday instead. and couldn't go to body pump on monday coz of organising a stupid surprise birthday party for my stupid best friend...stupid! So I am going on saturday to catch that up aswel. Went to do pilates this morning whihc was awesome, really loving it, and then i ran for 15mins and did some weights, just coz I've been soooo inactive this week (though it sounds like the weekend will more than make up for it, eek!)

I went to my jiujitsu club yesterday, and still have the scars =D My neck's a little stiff, but I think I just need to get in better shape. The club meets two hours a day, five days a week, but I probably won't be able to go every day.

It sounds like you're doing a lot on the weekend, Squig! I hope you're enjoying kickboxing =)

Sorry to hear that. Are you getting that checked out?

WildWitch

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Are you getting that checked out?
    no but i will soon. Last GP i spoke to about it said i might be lacking calcium in my diet and how stupid she thought veganism was, seems she thinks eating dairy will cure my probs.

Where do i go from there?

Change your GP, definitely, and maybe make sure you ARE getting enough calcium.
    Are you overweight? That'll mess with your knees, I know. Make sure any excercise is gentle and don't overdo it until you're back in shape.
    How old are you? Things don't work quite the way they used to for me at nearly 45..

WildWitch

Quote mariana View Post

Wouldn't the chlorine prevent an infection in your wound, though? I think swimming should be good if you have joint pain, because it's very easy on your joints. (This makes me REALLY want to go swimming, I haven't been since summer and I love swimming!)
    Chlorine dosnt protect against infections in wounds, in fact it is a chemical that breeds other viruses. For example the optician told me never to go swimming in contacts due to the bacteria that can get under the lense and cause infection. Swimming pools are the worst places to pick up infections, you should only go there if you are in good health in the first place.

WildWitch

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Change your GP, definitely, and maybe make sure you ARE getting enough calcium.
    Are you overweight? That'll mess with your knees, I know. Make sure any excercise is gentle and don't overdo it until you're back in shape.
    How old are you? Things don't work quite the way they used to for me at nearly 45..
    Im 42 and yes overweight. I try to get enough calcium in my diet and regularly note everything i eat to ensure i get all my needs met.

Just by diet alone, and probably the exercise of intense housework since iv just moved house, unpacking and diy stuff iv lost 4lb this week. Feeling better already.

Im 42 and yes overweight. I try to get enough calcium in my diet and regularly note everything i eat to ensure i get all my needs met.

Just by diet alone, and probably the exercise of intense housework since iv just moved house, unpacking and diy stuff iv lost 4lb this week. Feeling better already.
    The intense packing, moving and DIY will probably have made your joints hurt then I expect. Blummin' doctors!
    Glad you're feeling better. Don't overdo it.
    I have lost weight recently but more importantly am becoming fitter and can run a little more with each passing game of football. My left knee troubles me but that's more of an impact injury. I eat super dark green leafy Kale constantly but must also get some more glucosamine which I found was a help for my joints too. Others say it's bogus but you know your own body, right?

Cross training is great for it's low impact. Do you have a gym near you? Do you want to join a gym? I would also advise you to get some weights and start doing some dynamic weight lifting; with a moderately low weight but a moderately high number of reps and frequency, put a song on, and do one muscle group for the length of the song (if you want some exercises to target an area pm me if you like). I'm sure you have heard it all before but the more muscle you have the more calories you burn etc.
    I am glad you are feeling better all ready , I am sure it won't be long until you are feeling great again.

By all means change your GP Wildwitch, but if you can, it wouldn't do any harm to correct the wrong assumptions of the first. When I was a medical student, we learned zippo about nutrition, and since then, almost everything else about nutrution I have learnt has come from self-directed learning. Not all doctors believe you need calcium from dairy products - they are beginning to recommend alternatives in our local osteoporosis clinic.
    You could send your original GP this http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/calcium.php from the vegan society, or photocopy the entire chapter of Plant Based nutrition and health (I wonder if Steven Walsh would mind?) - which explains it very well in an evidence based way.
    They will only change if they are educated. There is nothing motivating them to be educated, so we have to make it easy.

WildWitch

Im starting to feel better already, lost about 4lbs just by eating better. I did eat a lot of rubbish during the packing and unpacking, not proper cooking and feeling so tired and rushed all the time i didnt have chance to prepare much.

Im feeling more motivated too. I am hoping to get round to joining the local gym, i was a member a few years ago, they also have a swimming pool.

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Hey guys, I need some help (even if just support)

I'm struggling with my weight so badly right now. Since the new year I've been working out as much as I can (which is only about 4 times a week right now because of my schedule) and eating healthy (no serious calorie restrictions though. I haven't been perfect, but I never eat more calories then I need so there's no reason why I should be GAINING WEIGHT. I gain like 5 gains in a couple weeks and my "fat clothes" are tight and my regular clothes don't even come close to fitting. I end up wearing sweats all the time. I'm wondering my this might have to do with something I recently found out. I went to an endocrinologist a few weeks ago and just got back the lab work and it said I had low estrogen levels (but not high testosterone). Of course they didn't explain what it meant or anything, and I tried to look it up but all I could find was for menopausal women. I'm going to meet with the gyn that referred me there next week. I don't know what to do though. If I gain any more weight I won't fit into any of my clothes and will be really depressed. I dread doing serious dieting though (eating like 1200 cal a day) but there doesn't seem to be any other choice...
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

What were you doing when working out?

If you're building muscle that might explain part of it.

If not, then the focus might be in those test results.

You mention a good diet - but have you changed your food recently?
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Played another hour of football, I felt a bit stiff (matron!) after playing on Thursday but scored a good goal and passed the ball well. We drew.
    We came from 5-0 down to win 7-6 last night through co-operation and communication against a team of younger, fitter show-offs. I love playing football.
    Tonight I have a 15 minute a half, indoor 5-a-side league game against an older team (av. age 45, ours is 36) who are very knowledgeable. I hope we can win, and if not play well and enjoy ourselves and come through it free of injury.

Keep on keeping on folks!

cobweb

^ doing well, horseless

i was chatting to a man today who told me i am wayyyy too harsh on myself and deserve to be proud of managing as a carer for 2 people, being a vegan, and an ex smoker and drinker . He made me feel like i am worth bothering with (my motivation sometimes disappears ).

plus, i have a shiny new red and gold gym top which i want to try out . I had a good workout yesterday, can't go today but am basically aiming for at least 5 good workouts per week.

Yeah, you GO girl!
    x

Hellooo? *walks in shyly*.

I guess I really need to start doing something against my non-existing muscles. o_O
    Today we did a fitness test in PE at school and I did sooo bad. T_T

cobweb

Quote Opheliac View Post
    Hellooo? *walks in shyly*.

I guess I really need to start doing something against my non-existing muscles. o_O
    Today we did a fitness test in PE at school and I did sooo bad. T_T

hi
    walk in boldly not shyly!
    get some dumbells and make some muscles at home, it's fun!

cobweb

Yeah, you GO girl!
    x

smootchie smootchie ~ thankyou! x

Hiiiii!!! no need to be shy . Its awesme when you're just starting out because you can make so much progress so quick! you just have to find something you enjoy .

I'd start immediately and regularly - I just have one problem: sore muscles. *ouch* ;_;

Sorry to hear about the test, Dia. Wonder if they gave you thyroid results, too? Cause I'm guessing low estrogen could cause the weight gain. But a lot of times, if one set of hormones is messed up, so is another. Hope you'll figure out what's going on.

Welcome, Opheliac.

And awesome job, Cobs! I want a gold shirt to wear at the gym! I get lots of stares at my boobs anyway!

cobweb

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Sorry to hear about the test, Dia. Wonder if they gave you thyroid results, too? Cause I'm guessing low estrogen could cause the weight gain. But a lot of times, if one set of hormones is messed up, so is another. Hope you'll figure out what's going on.

Welcome, Opheliac.

And awesome job, Cobs! I want a gold shirt to wear at the gym! I get lots of stares at my boobs anyway!

ha-ha try wearing a top next time you workout
    (*for some reason that is really making me laugh like a delirious weirdo *)

i got to thinking 'why feel embarrassed cos i'm not stick thin?' so i went for the brightest glitteriest goldiest gym top i could find . I'm gasping to get down to the gym tomorrow, i have some new puma 3/4 pants, too .

Quote Frank View Post
    What were you doing when working out?

If you're building muscle that might explain part of it.

If not, then the focus might be in those test results.

You mention a good diet - but have you changed your food recently?
    Kickboxing and spin class mostly. I'd think that too if it wasn't for the fact that my pants are so damn tight...

Nah, my diet doesn't change much. Well, I'm usually a lot more restrictive because I've been trying to lose weight for so long but, like I wouldn't allow myself much bread or PB, but I loosened up a bit. I'm still never eating a lot of calories.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Yeah, my thyroid has been tested many times. I hope so too, well if they can do something about it that is! All I can think is are these stories about women that go on hormones to have babies and they get moody, super emo and gain tons of weight. I'm moody enough already and couldn't bear gaining more!

Oh Diashel, I hope everything works out for you.

yeh diashel, I second what everyone else has said, I really hope you can pin point why your finding it hard, and maybe then you can deal with it.

Off to kickboxing today. did nothing yesterday though

Thanks everyone, your support is really helpful

cobweb

had a great workout this morning, managed to keep at around 5.5 kph on the treadmill which is good for me as i walk, rather than run or jog, and i did about 22 minutes before rowing 800 metres then doing some resistance work.

BlackCats

Quote cobweb View Post
    had a great workout this morning, managed to keep at around 5.5 kph on the treadmill which is good for me as i walk, rather than run or jog, and i did about 22 minutes before rowing 800 metres then doing some resistance work.
    I have no idea how much that is but it sounds like a lot! Everyone is doing so well on here.