Thread: nachos

Default nachos

i thought this was a really interesting variation on nachos. i got it out of some magazine a few years back. it's easy to make your own by adding guacamole, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, jalepeno slices, corn, using different beans....

HOMINY NACHOS

1 19oz can whole hominy, drained and rinsed
    1 15oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2c shredded Vegan Gourmet cheddar cheese
    1c green or red salsa
    1 bag of tortilla chips

assemble ingredients layered on top of chips, or layer in a microwave safe dish and cook for 2 1/2 minutes to use as a dip.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Default Re: nachos

So I have been looking for a way to make good nachos for about a month.....attempting new cheese and new processes and coming up short on satisfying my cravings every time. Needless to say I have packed on a few. Cannot wait to try this so my never ending search can come to an end.
    mmmmmmm...cupcakes

Mahk

I make cheez sauce from the common mac and cheez recipes:

- 3 TBLS Earth Balance margarine dissolved in sauce pan low-med heat.
    - In a bowl make a mixture of 2 to 3 TBLS nutritional yeast flakes (my brand is KAL, related to Red Star I believe) to 1 TBLS of all purpose flour and 1/8 tsp turmeric for color. Then add to melted margarine mixing to form a paste and return to burner.
    - Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup soymilk [or water I'm told, I've always used unsweetened plain (not vanilla) soy milk though] and stir together to an even consistency. (not conventional but I often add 1 to 1.5 tsp of Dijon mustard also)
    - Stir occasionally for perhaps 2-3 minutes on medium flame until mixture thickens. When bubbles start to show, continue just a half minute more (or so). Ideally the bubbles will glisten slightly showing that the oil is partly separating out (similarly to how real melted cheese does).

I used Tostitos brand Baked Scoops in this photo, green onions for decoration mostly, and store bought salsa, usually Green Mountain Gringo brand.

It tastes different than real cheese but is still quite yummy and hits the spot for me.

That looks awesome.