Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan airplane food

Default Re: Vegan Airplane food

Wow, did you get to wear a cute uniform? I don't even know what to call them anymore. It used to be air stewardesses, then they became air hostesses, and now I think they're flight attendants or cabin crew.

I used to order AVML (Asian Vegetarian) on my flights and avoid the dessert they used to give. The main meal was rice with some curry. So that was fine, but I started having my doubts about it. But these days, they have an exclusive VGML category as someone mentioned before. I never had problems with BA, BMI, BMI baby, Lufthansa or Emirates. I din't know Emirates catered VGML till recently. I am flying by Emirates in less than 2 months time., and I have ordered VGML. Vegan flight meals are not a problem these days.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

VeganJohn

That is good news, it must be terrible on a long flight with no proper food and everyone else getting substantial meals. Progress......

Quote mu-sly
    VGML - Strict/Pure Vegetarian - Non-Dairy - Vegan. "Vegan or pure vegetarians eat no meat or meat products of any type - no fish, fowl or products with lard or gelatin. Dairy products, eggs and honey are not permitted."
    When I booked my flight from Vancouver to Honolulu, I asked for a VGML meal. On the flight, I got a tray with a little ticket showing my name, seat number, and the VGML code. But my meal was pasta smothered in cheese! And because my ticket said VGML, the flight attendants tried to tell me that this WAS the correct meal. I looked around, and saw that my meal was just the regular option for all the passengers (they could choose chicken or pasta, and my pasta was the same as all everyone else's pasta). So much for getting what you specifically reserved .

In 2 and a half weeks, I'll be flying back to Vancouver from Honolulu. I'm going to confirm my meal before I depart, but it'll be interesting to see if they get it right this time
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Air Canada seems to have a lot of speciality meals:
    Asian vegetarian meal
    Infant or baby's meal
    Bland/soft meal
    Child's meal
    Diabetic meal
    Fruit platter meal
    Gluten-free meal
    Hindu meal
    Kosher meal
    Low-calorie meal
    Low-cholesterol/low-fat meal
    Low-sodium meal
    Muslim meal
    Oriental meal
    Vegetarian meal (non-dairy)
    Vegetarian meal (lacto-ovo)
    Non-lactose meal
    The non-dairy vegetarian meal must be the vegan one. Although the fruit platter meal (???) seems like it would be vegan too. I wonder what sort of dairy would be used in an Asian vegetarian meal? Dairy isn't common there, right? And the Hindu meal...
    Peace, love, and happiness.

It would be nice if they gave some sort of explanation. Kind of confusing isn't it?

Tiggerwoo

I just found this link which appears to have contact details and what all the major airlines have to offer for vegans.

One to bookmark in your favourites.

http://www.vegparadise.com/airline.html

Quote Jane M
    It would be nice if they gave some sort of explanation. Kind of confusing isn't it?
    Yeah it is. Good thing I can't eat on airplanes, I wouldn't know what to chose and feel safe about it!

Even though I always request special meals, I still bring tons of food with me. I don't trust anyone or anything.

Quote Tigerlily
    Air Canada seems to have a lot of speciality meals:

The non-dairy vegetarian meal must be the vegan one. Although the fruit platter meal (???) seems like it would be vegan too. I wonder what sort of dairy would be used in an Asian vegetarian meal? Dairy isn't common there, right? And the Hindu meal...
    The Asian meal could have eggs. Some Asian noodles use eggs in the recipe. That would be my guess, but it is just a guess.

Cheers,
    rant

Yes, I forgot about that.

Tigerlilly, maybe you should keep a few clif bars in your pocket...just in case..ya know?

Oh, I just posted it be curious. I'm not flying on a flight that would require a meal (only 2 hour flight). Plus, I can't eat on planes (motion sickness).

If you make a preference, they will ensure that the snack they give you during the short flight is Vegan. I flew from Manchester to Frankfurt on BA, which was about a 2 hour flight. They gave me vegan snacks.

I flew on BMI from London to Leeds, which is effectively 45 minutes flying time. Even this short flight catered to vegan requirements.

mango woman

Should I call the airport and tell them that i am vegan when i get my plane ticket? I am still waiting on my school to mail them to me, and it'll probably be about a month longer.. i just want to make sure i have VEGAN food to eat on my flight to England.

Yes, call them, so that you're guaranteed to have a vegan meal...they don't bring any extra vegan meals, so if you don't order one, you won't get a meal (I found that out the hard way when I was a vegetarian)

Also, if you're ordering your tickets online, some websites have a space that asks you for your meal preference (vegan option is sometimes described as "Vegetarian/Non-dairy"
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Tiggerwoo

Have you contacted the Airline itself on this link?

http://www.vegparadise.com/airline.html

That's a really great site, I didn't know about it...thanks
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote DancingWillow
    I've flown with Delta within the US (not overseas) and even on the longer flights, they only give peanuts and soft drinks/juices to everyone (from vegan to omni). Most other airlines that I've flown with do the same (Northwest Airlines and I don't remember which other ones).

Do airline peanuts ever contain honey?
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Sometimes it has honey, if it's the honey roasted type. Again, it depends on the airline.

On one flight on KLM, we were given these weird cracker-like snacks. I think they were pretending to be Pepperidge Farm Goldfish or something. We read the ingredients, and apart from the obvious like cheese powder, it had lots of E numbers and other additives. So my companion didn't touch them either, it was too nasty even for omnis! He said the ingredient list was more like material for grouting tiles rather than for food.

I flew from London to Hong Kong yesterday, on Cathay Pacific. The food was really good, and my whole meal was vegan, down to the sunflower spread they provided for the dinner roll. Garbanzo beans and red kidney beans for the salad, side dish of steamed carrots, and a tomato sauced zucchini main on couscous. Can't complain.

Quote Haniska
    Do airline peanuts ever contain honey?
    Well, the Delta ones didn't...they had the ingredients listed, and they didn't have honey.

I was disappointed on my recent flight with Delta to Seattle. It was such a long flight and when I bought my ticket, I specifically ordered a vegan meal. Then, instead of the usual packets of peanuts, they had a wrapped box of snacks for everyone. In each box, there were crackers, cheese, butter, cookies, and other things, which pretty much all had dairy/eggs. When the flight attendant started handing them out, I suspected that whatever was in the box was not vegan, so I didn't even accept a box (because otherwise they would have just thrown it out even if I hadn't eated anything). The person next to me opened theirs, and then I saw what was in it, so I was glad I hadn't accepted a box.

If I specifically requested a vegan meal in advance, then why did they not have one? They could have at least given me peanuts!

Thank goodness, I had brought Lara bars and other snacks...
    ~John Wooden

Geoff

Catalina, why would you need to go on a plane when you are a plane!

('Catalina flying boats were the ugly ducklings of the Royal Australian Air Force during World War Two' - ABC website)

Going to Germany later in the year on a Gulf Air. No info on their website about economy ticket holders being able to choose. I asked the travel agent to get vegan and it says 'vegetarian' on the ticket. I hope I don't get creamy pasta or something. I don't know whether to ring them back and harrass them or just bring a pack of macadamia nuts with me.

I'd pack a few nutrition bars in my pocket...just in case....

Gulf Air has got quite a good rep, they should do all types of meals. Any chance you could get your local Gulf Air reservations office number and talk to them directly? I always find them much more helpful and knowledgeable than travel agents.

I do pack my own stuff anyway, but that's because I'm always hungry.

Geoff, I know I'm an airplane! And an island! And a salad dressing...!

Geoff

That must be very confusing for you!

Extremely. You don't know the half of it!

Ok folks. In hot south India now. Flew on Emirates Airlines through Dubai. I should appreciate their exceptional service with regard to the food. I had made my vegan food booking well in advance and was not dissapointed.

For the Manchester - Dubai flight leg, the vegan lunch included, rice with tofu and carrot seasoning, portion of fruits, salads, portion of cooked bean varieties (eg. chick pea, kidney beans etc). Plus a medium bap which was accompanied with jam and sunflower spread.

On the Dubai - Madras flight it was a generic menu of vegetarian, with rice and steaming sambar vada.

Two long flights but no complaints about food. Quite nice and I recommend this airlines. Nice in-flight personal entertainment system too (sorry off topic ).

Quote catalina
    Geoff, I know I'm an airplane! And an island! And a salad dressing...!
    Aww, I'm only a range of jams and chutneys
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

VeganJohn

Anyone have any experiences of KLM and Air France?

I am flying to the US next month via KLM and returning via Air France.

I would also be interested to know what anyone has received as I am shortly to experience a vegan menu on board Air Canada and British Airways.

Air Canada's lack of service in general is legendary... sometimes they're amazing, other times they're downright terrible. My mum and I had their vegan meal once, and it was alright... mostly veggies and rice. It *was* an improvement from the meals the rest of the family got, ironically. ;D You should do fine, but I'd bring some nuts, fruit, and/or bars with you just in case.

oh that sounds hopeful - fingers crossed I get a good one. I always carry supplies just in case!

When I went to Borneo earlier in the year i got vegan meals, because even though i wasn't vegan its easier to say that then vegetarian and end up with cheesey pasta (i'm lactose intolerant) and the food was pretty terrible, steamed veggies and fruit salad and a roll, and on the way back a hommus roll and fruit salad... that was flying malasian airlines which are supposed to have a pretty good rep, so i'd pack a few esspecials if i were you

Quote VeganJohn
    Anyone have any experiences of KLM and Air France?

I am flying to the US next month via KLM and returning via Air France.
    KLM is usually good with vegan meals. Bland, but acceptable. I flew with them last year.

I just had some fantastic vegan meals today on Cathay, from Hong Kong to London. They even gave me some dried fruit as dessert.

Blueshark

I regularly fly with VLM, and they serve a sandwich and muffin for their meal. This is usually a cheese and a meat option. Now I usually order the strict vegetarian option in advance, but often they just dont bother to stock it.

On the plane yesterday, the steward offered me a 'cheese' sandwich, I replied I was vegan, and so he promptly offered me a fish opton

The vegan sandwich they offer, is just a salad sandwich, and it is fine, but they just need to stock them, when ordered!!

They also offer, pretzel like snacks, to go with drinks, but these contain eggs and milk.

The best vegan meal(s) I had were with Malev. They even got me a vegan chocolate bar First Choice once got me a vegan potato curry and rice... (but forgot my other half's veggie meal completely!).

British Airways and SAS were without a doubt the worst. Icelandic Air didn't know what vegetarian was, let alone vegan "You don't eat fish!!?" and British Airways either didn't have a meal for me at all or gave me a mushroom sandwich....

Two slices of bread.... with mushrooms in the middle. Nothing else!

My MIL now makes us packed lunches.

Quote Terasa
    I would also be interested to know what anyone has received as I am shortly to experience a vegan menu on board Air Canada and British Airways.
    When I flew air Canada, I learned that scrambled eggs was apparently vegan

LOLOLOL!!! Doesn't suprise me. They are a very bad airline. Unfortunately I have a cross-country flight with them in August - but it is paid for with Aeroplan airmiles, so I can't reallllly complain, I suppose.

They don't serve a meal on domestic flights anymore (cheap-asses), so I will be taking my own sandwiches and snacks as I will be flying all day.

VeganJohn

Quote catalina
    KLM is usually good with vegan meals. Bland, but acceptable. I flew with them last year.

I just had some fantastic vegan meals today on Cathay, from Hong Kong to London. They even gave me some dried fruit as dessert.

Glad to hear about KLM. I always fly with them when I go to the US and they seem very efficient in general.

Flew back from India to UK yesterday. No complaints about vegan airplane food, but I did not quite understand what they were serving. Flew on Emirates yet again. Madras - Dubai leg servered hot rice and curry, plus salads etc. On the longer flight leg between Dubai and manchester, I got this...

Took the snap to research on what all this was. No luck so far. But its quite easy to observe that the Flora spread they provided is not vegan. The rest tasted fine. Liked it. VGML is the code for Vegan meals (as it says on the blue tin foil on the bottom right)

Hey Kiran, thanks for the pic. I never eat butter substitutes or margarine (simply because I've never been into them), but could you tell me why Flora isn't vegan?

Oh, and the thing in the very middle, did it taste like mashed potatoes, starchy, or like semolina?!

Quote catalina
    Hey Kiran, thanks for the pic. I never eat butter substitutes or margarine (simply because I've never been into them), but could you tell me why Flora isn't vegan?
    Hi Catalina,

Flora, is not even suitable for vegetarians. As this excerpt from their site says...

Why isn't Flora Diet suitable for vegetarians?

Our research shows that when eating spread, people enjoy a pleasant melt in the mouth feel coupled with a smooth release of the flavours in the spread. The lower fat content of Flora Diet (23% fat) makes this “slow melt” more difficult to achieve – but we’ve found that using a small amount of pork gelatine allows us to get that result. We have not yet found an alternative ingredient that works as well and also meets the needs of a vegetarian diet. Keeping the Flora Diet quality and taste that you love is very important to us, and so we must carry on using gelatine as an ingredient at present. However we are aware of this important issue for vegetarians and we are continuing to investigate other options.

Oh, and the thing in the very middle, did it taste like mashed potatoes, starchy, or like semolina?!
    Yes, it looked like mashed potatoes but was not that soft. It had a thin crust. Looked like it was baked. The inside was however spiced veggies with a major portion of potatoes.

Thanks for that Kiran. I swear I'm not that lazy, I went to look for this, but somehow ended up in the Unilever corporate site.

Oh, and I lied. I use Biona marg for baking cookies, but not for spreading.

Pork gelatine. That is truly disgusting. Another issue is, I wonder how many Muslims know what's in Flora.

Hope you're not too jet-lagged.

I have been told by a few sources that it is best to not eat on airplanes but best to just drink plenty of water. This is because the body is stressed by the recirculated air, cabin pressure changes, sitting still, etc.

Works for me since I have yet to fly on a plane where I would even consider eating what they offer as food.

I think I would find it quite hard to not eat on a 17 hour flight!!! I can hardly go three hours without eating as it is!

Don't bother ordering Vegan from airmalta! They always agree to supply it but on the flight you get none, at least i didn't!
    I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me.